Saturday, June 20, 2009

garden mid monsoon/mid summer



After 2 weeks of almost constant rain (6" plus), the garden is certainly not thirsty. Now if we could get a little sunshine up in Katonah, I reckon I'll see some real growth. Still, this photo shows you a pretty major difference since the last shot at the end of May...

The zucchini, squash and a host of heirloom tomatoes are raging along the northern and southern borders of the garden. I'm hoping that the carrots, arugula and radishes don't mind the shade a little bit. The trellises are supporting a couple of varieties of peas and cucumbers, and there are herbs, peppers, broccoli, cauliflour, brussel sprouts and eggplants chugging along as well. Even the artichokes that I had left for dead seem to have perked up a bit. Keeping my fingers crossed for those guys. So far, the only casualty out there has been my dill plant; it was too fragile for all the rain.


1 comment:

  1. we should talk about supplies for a sprinkler system (subterranean between the garden and house). I visited a few farms on my holiday travels to New England and irrigation is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete