Monday, May 4, 2009

the demise of fashion advertising


If you're reading this blog, you probably know that I'm no expert on fashion. Not even fashion advertising. And certainly not jewelery. For that, I must defer to my man Stu the Jew. But now that my commute exposes me to full station outdoor media buys at Grand Central Terminal, its hard to avoid the ads targeted at the Metro North crew.

During the month of April, Saks Fifth Avenue ran a pretty extensive campaign featuring watches/necklaces/broaches, etc. While their ads didn't quite capture the spirit of the time, you know busted up economy and all, they featured some very upscale photography of fairly creative pieces, along with playful copywriting that might actually get your attention. And while that's not quite enough to send me to the store to buy wifey some jewelery, at least I know its there in the event that I win the lottery.

Fast forward to May, and now Tiffany's has the floor. Their pitch? A bunch of over- made-up models wearing keys?! Apparently, they're iconic or something. Whatever.

But a funny thing happened while I was typing out this post. I tried to find the images of the Saks advertising online to post here. And it was nowhere to be found. Not on their website, not in the Google results, not in the ad blogs, no PR...nowheresville. Just a bunch of Soviet style images that looked like Stoli ads. And Tiffany, to their credit, feature the collection on their website, and run Google ads to support it.

I'm willing to bet which company gets a better return on its ad budget... I wonder if they see higher conversion from Metro North zip codes?

No comments:

Post a Comment