Saturday, May 16, 2009

For old time's sake

Waking up this morning and making my habitual rounds of the interweb, I came upon this picture, one of the most memorable moments of my childhood. It was definitely the first great sporting memory for me, the genesis of way too much time following the Arsenal!

I must have watched the replays of the 1979 FA cup final almost as many times as I watched Star Wars on one of the super clunker VHS machines that were in circulation back then (big ups to dad, always an "early adopter", even before the phrase was coined!



Anyway, I'll always remember Liam Brady as the best player on the pitch, and his cross to the gloriously afro'd/bubble perm'd Alan Sunderland to slide into the net just before the final whistle. Its a shame that Arsenal fans won't enjoy anything like this in 2009, but this goal will always live on!

No comments:

Post a Comment